About the Property
Coastal Elegance with waterfront views in Melbourne’s Historic Riverview Village. Only 3 blocks to downtown Melbourne, this charming historic home built in 1890 offers guests a truly unique vantage point to enjoy the best the Space Coast has to offer, both in terms of nature and culture. Perched on the bluff above the Indian River Lagoon, you have amazing front row seats to watch the river life drift by - dolphins, sailboats, osprey and even manatees! Soak up the beautiful Florida weather and ocean breezes while you take in the spectacular sunrises and sunsets from the wraparound porch. Or head over the causeway and hit the Space Coast’s best beaches minutes away. Just a few blocks from dining and shopping in downtown Melbourne, enjoy a taste of Old Florida while relaxing in comfort and style!
With 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths, this light and bright circa 1890 home features a wraparound porch, original hardwood floors, clawfoot tub and historic charm galore -- amid stylish coastal décor and modern furnishings. The updated chef’s kitchen is well stocked for dining in – or al fresco, grilling out and taking in the breeze and river views. The home is nestled among tropical landscaping and stately old oaks with a huge back lawn overlooking the river and the causeway.
Registration Number: DWE1506116
This riverfront charmer offers an inspired blend of both old and new to create exceptional memories for your next getaway. Vacation life is easy with river views from so many living spaces – den, living room, casual dining, and formal dining. The adorable kitchen is fully equipped with state-of-the-art appliances. Recently renovated, the 1890 home can accommodate up to 6 guests very comfortably, with a large master suite with King bed and two smaller Queen bedrooms. At 1,991 square feet, the home’s cottage layout adds to the character and appeal of this distinctive getaway.
All 3 bedrooms are upstairs via two sets of bungalow style stairs (narrow and a little steep) and the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms have sloped ceilings, small but extra cozy. The oversized master with gorgeous river views also includes the largest bath in the home. The guest bath has a clawfoot tub with handheld shower and a low, sloped ceiling. Note, ceiling heights vary dramatically throughout the home so taller guests should read the fine print and review the photos closely. The master suite occupants might want to share their shower. An additional half bath is located off the kitchen downstairs, next to the full-size washer and dryer. Off-street parking for 2-3 cars is provided.
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE
• The ‘Old Melbourne River House’ is at the base of the Melbourne (192) Causeway, the street is close to a busy causeway and this unique riverfront home is close to downtown and the street has both businesses and older homes. We are 3 – 4 blocks from downtown, when walking you will have to cross US Highway 1, use the crosswalk!
• HISTORIC HOME DETAILS – Historic home features narrow (27” doorways) inside and outside the home and narrow staircases to the bedrooms. The living areas feature soaring 12’ ceilings – but the kitchen has a lower ceiling. The upstairs hallway is quite low and there are low sloping ceilings in the 2 guest bedrooms and the guest bath upstairs too.
• OCCUPANCY: limit for overnight guests is a maximum of 6 people including children (3 beds).
• CHILDREN: are welcome but total human count is 6 including little ones – stairs are steep and wooden; the edge of the yard has a steep slope down to the river and the house has light fabrics and antiques. Parents – your call!
• PETS: Considered on a case-by-case basis.
• BEDROOMS: Two sets of somewhat steep stairs lead up to the bungalow style 2nd floor. The upstairs hallway and some parts of 2nd and 3rd bedroom have low ceilings, see pictures! Master suite with KING and 2 QUEEN bedrooms
• BATHS: largest bath is upstairs in the master bathroom, includes walk-in shower; 2nd upstairs bath has a clawfoot tub with shower/curtain and sloped ceiling, taller guest may opt to use the master.
• GATHERINGS: Home is ideal for gatherings of 12 PEOPLE or LESS. Please let host know of any plans to host get togethers – which the home is ideally suited for, we just appreciate knowing in advance if you plan to entertain friends or family.
• EVENTS – WEDDINGS, REUNIONS, ETC. This beautiful home is often requested for small events! If you are interested in have any gatherings of more than 12 people, please let us know and we can discuss whether it is an option.
• Central air downstairs and modern mini-split AC units and window units upstairs help keep all areas cool and offer flexibility to guests in separate rooms of the home. The AC works great in all areas, but guests need to control areas individually.
• TVs: in the living room and master; SmartTVs for streaming and cable TV.
• Home includes full-size washer and dryer for guest use on the first floor.
• TRAINS: run through downtown Melbourne. If you want to stay in downtown, you may hear trains.
Why Kids Love It
The backyard is loved by all, with water views and wildlife views. Flat grass backyard is safe and fun.
The Old Melbourne River House is located between the Indian River Lagoon bluff and South Harbour City Boulevard. Historic Downtown Melbourne is a destination just a few blocks away, small but loaded with charm and walkable. Don’t feel like cooking tonight? No problem! The Space Coast’s best dining options can be found in downtown Melbourne only a few blocks away. Whether it is our renowned seafood, craft cocktails or something more casual in the endless café options no guest will leave Downtown hungry – or thirsty!
The whole gang can enjoy a beach filled outing, basking in the Florida sunshine of the nearby beaches including, Indialantic (Nance Park), Indian Harbour Beach & Melbourne Beach. You may even catch a glimpse of a Space X launch in Cape Canaveral! Beach chairs and basic gear provided.
5 min 2+ miles to the Melbourne International Airport and Florida Institute of Technology;
5 min to the Beaches just over the causeway
20 miles to Cocoa Beach and the original Ron Jon Surf Shop;
Close to all the engineering companies and less than a mile to Holmes Regional Medical Center and Wells Park
60 min. to Orlando attractions, MCO Airport
60 min. to Kennedy Space Center
Attractions: 14 miles to the Brevard Zoo; 18 miles to the USSSA Space Coast Stadium; 25 miles to Port Canaveral; 47 miles to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex; One-hour drive to Disney, other Orlando theme parks
Attractions Within Walking Distance
Historic Downtown Melbourne is 5 blocks away and offers the best in shopping and dining. There are two waterfront parks within a few blocks, Kiwanis Park at Geiger Point and Claude Edge Front St Park. Melbourne Harbor with waterfront dining at the Chart House or Ichabod's Dockside Grill.
Favorite Places To Eat
The Mansion (rooftop); Matt's Casbah, Ember & Oak, Crush XI, Meg O'Malleys, Main St Pub, Melbourne Seafood Station.
Connect directly with owners
Cut out the middleman
No booking or service fees
Save up to 15% over other websites
Florida's #1 vacation rental site
We're the experts
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Min Stay|
Sep 01 2021 - Nov 19 2021
Nov 20 2021 - Nov 28 2021
Nov 28 2021 - Dec 18 2021
Dec 19 2021 - Apr 30 2022
Apr 17 2022 - May 22 2022
Cleaning Fee: $175
Tax Rate: 12%
damage deposit refundable 500.00
Last updated October 26, 2021
About the owner: My name is Beth and my husband Kyle and I love being able to host people from around the world in our spaces. We manage this historic home for local owners who have taken great care to share their River House with guests.
Why this property? It's a RARE GEM! Slice of old Florida, riverfront serinity in the heart of Old Melbourne.
Calendar last updated: October 26, 2021
Guestbook comments from the owner:
This house is beautiful! So clean and Beth is amazing with making sure you get all the information you need!
Beth we loved our stay at your place! We used it for a family reunion of sorts. The house kept cool even though outside it was a heatwave. The upscale design pieces and enough flatware and glassware for a full 8 person 3 course meal in the dining room was taken advantage of! All of those extra touches made all the things feel more special because we had what we needed to entertain. (Mother in law had a hard time with the pilgrim S+P shakers but we thought they were adorable! Ha.)
The towels were plush, the tv had all the apps, the fridge has an ice machine, it’s all there.
There’s a convenience store 100ft away if we needed anything extra.
But mostly wanted to say, you were an exceptional host, it felt like a very flushed out and thoughtfully complete space.
I would 100% book with you again.
We loved this place! We loved the wraparound porch and enjoying the views of the waterway. The house has a lot of space and fun details. It has a great location that is a few blocks from many restaurants and shops.
What a fantastic house. A great home to stay in with a beautiful, full view of the river. Our favorite place to sit in the morning was on the back porch with a cup of coffee looking out towards the river.... absolutely beautiful.
The house is completely renovated, nicely decorated with new A/C units in each upstairs bedroom and full A/C downstairs. The kitchen is fully stocked with everything you need for meals. Beth was very easy to communicate with and left us every needed provision for both the house and our trips to the beach.
The house is located near some very good restaurants and a few local Breweries. There is even a Wawa a block away for those late night dessert needs...
Overall it was perfect, we didn't want to leave. I would be more than willing to stay here again.